Contrary to popular belief, the office isn’t the only place where you can improve your work efficiency. There are a lot of daily habits you can adopt that can improve your productivity in the commodity of your own home, these do not take much effort but can do wonders on both your mind and your job, and if you’re wondering if they are boring, well, they aren’t!
- Maintain your workspace clean. Many people have not noticed this, but when talking about work efficiency even the amount of cleanliness in your workplace matters. Studies have shown that when your environment is clean, you’re more prone to be productive and to receive more enjoyment out of activities.
If you want to avoid having a messy workplace, you can clean and straighten it up a bit at the end of the day, you don’t even have to be too drastic about it, just try to build the cleaning habit. You might be having flashbacks of your parents telling you to clean your room right now, but hey, they had a point!
- Take care of your email. Having a job generally means having a busy email inbox and when we’re busy working we might even forget we have one, so take up your smartphone and set an alarm to remind you to check your email at the end of the day, this way you won’t miss an important information or leave a workmate waiting for a response. This habit reduces the amount of times you need to check your email each day and this is something good.
- Write down a To-Do list before bed. If you end your days having a list of the most important things you have (or want) to do you will be making a list of goals that you will have in plain sight, and while it might not seem much at first, it has been scientifically proven that people that make to-do lists perform better at the things they need to do, this is because it makes our minds stick to a plan and reduces the chaos of our everyday decisions.
- Plan your next day. Spending the end of the day wondering which things you can do tomorrow can improve your work efficiency. This is because if you’re doing it on your productive time you might get dragged by your own thinking instead of actually doing stuff. You could start planning from the beginning, starting from which coffee flavor you could choose in the morning, how you’d like your breakfast and so on.
- Rest properly. A good night of rest is truly the most important thing you could do to improve your productivity. Being well rested improves your mood, gives you more focus on your working hours, prevents burnouts and it even does wonders to your skin.
Building these habits will not only improve your productivity at work but will also improve other aspects of your daily life. Start preparing for the tomorrow you want today.